Pokerstars countries guide (2023 Update)
Have you ever wondered if you can join Pokerstars? Look no further: our Pokerstars country guide is everything you need to know about where to roll.
PokerStars: where to roll?
Pokerstars is literally known worldwide and it would seem that you could play on PS anywhere. However, this is not the case. And the question of "Where can I legally play at Pokerstars?" is a very relevant one.
To save you time, we've compiled an up-to-date list of the countries where Pokerstars is now allowed.
Remember that as Pokerstars is a licensed online poker room, there are restrictions on underage gambling (18+, and in some countries there may be higher age limits).
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Faroe Islands
- French Polynesia
- New Caledonia
- New Zealand
- North Macedonia
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- San Marino
- South Africa
- South Korea
- Sri Lanka
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
PokerStars restricted countries list
Real money poker is prohibited in the following countries and territories:
- Europe: North Macedonia, Netherlands, Russia, Cyprus, Serbia.
- Asia: India, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Pakistan, UAE, Afghanistan, Bhutan, Brunei, East Timor, Georgia, Hong Kong, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Bahrain, Kuwait, Maldives, Myanmar, North Korea, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Syria, Tajikistan, Turkey, Yemen, China, Taiwan.
- Africa: Egypt, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, CAR, Chad, Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Gambia, Guinea, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Zimbabwe, Western Sahara.
- Americas: Colombia, USA, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Puerto Rico, Suriname.
- Oceania: Australia, French Polynesia, New Caledonia, Samoa, Fiji, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu.
Europe is very heterogeneous when it comes to gambling legislation.
- Poker reservations of Italy, France, and Spain (Europool).
- Regional sites. In countries with regulated gaming markets, Pokerstars is available via a local domain. These countries have their own payment methods, rules, and restrictions. For example, in Denmark and Germany
- PokerStars.eu with license in Malta. Countries where there are no clear gambling laws and restrictions on Pokerstars.
Pokerstars is banned in China, Israel, and all Muslim countries in the Middle East.
Most Asian players are from:
- India, excluding states where online poker is legal: Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Assam, Odisha, Sikkim, and Gujarat.
PokerStars USA and Canada
PokerStars now only officially operates in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Michigan. Each state has its own player pool.
In Canada, PokerStars Ontario was launched following the legalisation of online gambling in the province of Ontario (April 2022). Players from the rest of the country can play at pokerstars.com.
This is currently the most promising region for expansion. Gaming legislation is still in its infancy in most countries.
In Brazil, Mexico, Peru, and Argentina it is possible to play on pokerstars.com. Colombia is the only country where PokerStars is not available.
Even if the local authorities legalise online poker in the future, Stars will do its best to stay in this market.
PokerStars does not operate in Russia, Georgia, Tajikistan, and the Baltic countries
The site was forced to withdraw from Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania following the legalisation of gambling. It is likely that Pokerstars did not obtain a local licence for commercial reasons.
The PokerStars Sochi site was closed in March 2022.
What should I do if I move to another country?
For professional poker players relocating to another country may offer advantages in terms of better quality of life, tax status, and access to online poker rooms.
If you already have a Pokerstars account registered in another country, you will need to provide clear copies or photos of the following documents:
- A government-issued photo ID with your name, date of issue, and date of birth (national ID card, passport, driver's licence).
- A utility bill showing your full name, current address, and billing date (no older than 3 months).
- A copy of a bank statement showing recent transactions in your new country of residence.
You can upload documents via the desktop client, mobile app or the Pokerstars website. Access to your account will be restored once document verification is complete.
Over the past few years, PokerStars management has sought to work within the legal requirements of each jurisdiction and to obtain licences wherever possible.
We believe that in the coming years, PokerStars will seek licences in the Netherlands, Switzerland, and all US states where online poker is legal.
Contact us to get a deal and start playing now:
The two online poker giants struggled for a long time for the "world's largest" title, but in 202...
The 2023 edition of the Pokerstars World Championship of Online Poker (WCOOP) is set to start on ...
At Unibet Poker it is not always easy to determine exactly which countries I can play from and wh...
Winamax is mainly focused on the French gaming market, but players from other regions can also le...